I actively translate my research into policy making and public education avenues so that my findings can be of direct benefit to stakeholders. I serve actively on several bodies including the Social Science Research Council, Singapore Environment Council and Media Literacy Council.
Media Literacy and Online Disinformation
With the growing proliferation of communication technologies, more people are consuming and producing media content for information, entertainment, education and interaction, ever more intensively. Even as our media diet seems to have been enriched by a broader variety of media content and communication channels, issues have emerged as to the quality and credibility of content. The problem of misinformation and disinformation, popularly referred to as fake news, is becoming more widespread. Through my research on young people’s media use and media literacy across the broader population, I have sought to help people become more discerning media consumers. I serve actively on the Media Literacy Council and often lecture and write op-eds on the issue. Together with my amazing SUTD students, I am also working to develop initiatives that can help to combat the scourge of fake news.
Women in Technology
I believe strongly in boosting diversity in the technology industry. As technology encroaches into every aspect of our everyday lives, across all strata of society, it is critical that it accommodates and reflects the needs of the broad swathe of users. Without sufficient representation or participation of women in the technology industry, technological innovation is necessarily less empathetic and inclusive. I am fortunate to be part of the Singapore University of Technology and Design, a technology-centric institution that pledges to maintain female enrolment at 40%. Along with a group of very capable women, I am part of the founding committee of the Women in Technology Special Interest Group of the Singapore Computer Society. Collectively, we strive to introduce more outreach and mentoring sessions to attract and nurture young women to work and thrive in the technology sector.
Social Media Resource Kit for Youths-at-Risk
Notably, I distilled my research findings on media and technology use by juvenile delinquents into the Social Media Resource Kit for Youths-at-Risk, supported by the Ministry of Social and Family Development. The kit offers teachers, social workers and counsellors a comprehensive resource for guiding youths and their families on the benefits and risks of social media use and is used by schools and youth sector organisations throughout Singapore. Colourful and reader-friendly, the kit provides comprehensive information on popular social media platforms. It contains factsheets, conversation guides for speaking to parents and youths, news reports, self-assessment quizzes, group activities and Powerpoint slides for classroom use.
Youth Work Mobile 2.0 (YOWOMO2.0) is a European Partnership developing a framework for Vocational and Educational Training (VET) of youth workers facing the growing significance of smartphones and social media in the life of their clients. I collaborated with Lutz Siemer, Lecturer at the School of Social Work at Saxion University of Applied Sciences in The Netherlands on YOWOMO 2.0. Principally, the key content of the Social Media Resource Kit was been adapted into a competence quiz for youth workers in Europe for them to assess their personal readiness for guiding young people in today’s media landscape. The quiz is available in English, German, Spanish and Turkish, with more language versions to come!
Membership on Committees
- 2020-present, Council Member, Social Science Research Council
- 2019-present, Board Director, Singapore Environment Council
- 2019-present, Academic Committee Member, St Joseph's Institution International
- 2018-present, Nominated Member of Parliament, 13th Parliament of Singapore
- 2014-present, Media Literacy Council, Infocomm Media Development Authority
- 2014-2016, Academic Board Member, Singapore Media Academy
- 2009-2011, National Youth Council, Ministry of Community, Culture, Youth and Sport
- 2007-2009, Advisory Committee on the Impact of New Media on Society Working Group, Media Development Authority
- 2006-2010, Internet & Media Advisory Committee, Media Development Authority
- 2008-2012, Chair, New Media Taskforce, National Committee on Youth Guidance & Rehabilitation, Ministry of Social and Family Development
- 2006-2012, Member, National Committee on Youth Guidance & Rehabilitation, Ministry of Social and Family Development
- 2005-2007, National Internet Advisory Committee, Media Development Authority